Failed to get number of messages

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM

I'm pretty much sure I setuped everything correctly, and P3SS does connect to POP3 server, but it errors with "Failed to get number of messages" everytime... Please, what can I do to fix this problem, I do think it is some bug, because from the same POP3 server, fetchmail works flawlessly...

Thanks!

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Please enable debugging in P3SS and let us know what the actual error message and reply from the POP3 server was - its most likely a bug in the Regex that retrieves the number of messages from the server's reponse

Thanks,
Daniel

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Account xxx@@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:110 said:
Failed to get number of messages

Server reponse:
USER
UIDL

StackTrace:
   at P3SS.Networking.Pop3Protocol.GetNumberMailWaiting() in C:\Users\vidmes\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\P3SS\trunk\Engine\Networking\Pop3Protocol.cs:line 215
   at P3SS.Engine.Pop3Engine.GetAllMail() in C:\Users\vidmes\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\P3SS\trunk\Engine\Engine\Pop3Engine.cs:line 137

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM

btw... it's running on Windows 2003 Standard 64-bit edition

Coordinator
Dec 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Thats really weird - it looks like the capabilities list is being cut early (and the leftovers overflowing into the listing (LIST) command)

Would it be possible for you to post what the capabilities of the server are reported as; or (better yet) send me an email with the address of the server such that I can do testing myself (I don't need a username or password, and the testing would be non-intrusive)

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2010 at 6:48 AM

I've found the bug, and its been fixed in the latest pre-release: http://p3ss.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=37002

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Seems like this problem is solved, but there is another one :)

When I connect to my SMTP server which is supposed to accept messages from P3SS (by using To: field), everything is ok, and the message is delivered to hosted domain, but I'm having problems connecting to it from P3SS:

Account To Headers@@127.0.0.1:25 said:
Server responded incorrectly to RCPT TO

Server reponse: 
501 5.1.3 Invalid address

StackTrace:
   at P3SS.Networking.SmtpProtocol.innerSubmitMail(String to, String from, String mail) in C:\Users\vidmes\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\P3SS\trunk\Engine\Networking\SmtpProtocol.cs:line 190
   at P3SS.Networking.SmtpProtocol.SubmitMail(String toEmailAddress, String mailToSubmit) in C:\Users\vidmes\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\P3SS\trunk\Engine\Networking\SmtpProtocol.cs:line 231
   at P3SS.Engine.SmtpEngine.SubmitAllMail(List`1 inMail) in C:\Users\vidmes\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\P3SS\trunk\Engine\Engine\SmtpEngine.cs:line 105

I guess the problem is  somewhere in parsing of To: field...  maybe just  "<" and ">" are missing... This is the console session that went ok:

220 xxxxx.xxxxxx.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Mon, 4 Jan 2010 1
0:32:42 +0100
helo xxxxx.co.xx
250 atinax.apoteka.local Hello [127.0.0.1]
mail from:
250 2.1.0 Sender OK
rcpt to:
250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
data
354 Start mail input; end with .
alo alo alo
250 2.6.0  Queued mai
l for delivery
quit
221 2.0.0 Service closing transmission channel

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Can you please provide the headers of the email that is failing? (or email them to me if you don't want it public) - You can see what emails have failed by going into the Configuration Utility and going to the "Failed Mail" tab

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I can't seem to see anything wrong with the headers that you have sent me.

Please try the latest release - it now shows what commands were last sent to the server when an error occurs (this should show what address P3SS is sending the email to)

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Seems like fixes 34391 and 34392

are not incorporated in latest binaries available, that's why the From: and To: fields are not working in my case?

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I made some further changes to how the From and To fields are captured, and it appears that these changes have broken some stuff - let me see what I can do...

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Ok, the latest pre-release has the From\To field bugs (hopefully) fixed and managing failed mail should also now work.

Also, thanks for all of your bug reports and patience - it's been invaluable.